Medical and Academic Affairs Projects
Medical staff and Island Health staff are working on several projects to improve the medical staff governance structure, medical leadership structure and human resource systems. Please click here to find more details and who to talk to about each project. Medical staff feedback is encouraged and welcomed.
Physician Quality Improvement
The Physician Quality Improvement department supports physicians leading quality improvement projects. Since 2016, Island Health physicians have had the opportunity to sign-up for organized QI training and lead a QI project in their area of clinical expertise. With the support of the Specialist Services Committee this program is now in its third year.
Facility Engagement is an initiative of the Specialist Services Committee, one of four joint collaborative committees that represent a partnership of the Government of BC and Doctors of BC. Facility Engagement aims to strengthen relationships, engagement and communication between health authorities and facility-based physicians, to improve their work environment and the delivery of patient care with:
- Improved opportunities for physicians and Island Health leaders to work together to share knowledge and make informed decisions that can improve patient care, the physician experience, and the cost-effectiveness of the health care system.
- Opportunities and support for physicians who work at facilities and are members of the medical staff to develop a meaningful voice, and increase involvement in local activities that affect their work and patient care.
- Funding to support activities that involve physicians in decision-making, and:
- Pay for physicians' time in activities.
- Hire expertise to support the physician activities (e.g. a coordinator for administrative support; an analyst to track issues, develop business cases and manage projects; a physician lead to support engagement activities).
Practice Support Program
The Practice Support Program is a quality improvement-focused initiative that provides a suite of evidence-based educational services and in-practice supports to improve patient care and doctor experience. As an initiative of the General Practice Services Committee, PSP supports doctors to work towards an integrated system of care via the patient medical home and primary care home model. Training modules currently offered include: advanced access/office efficiency, child and youth mental health, end-of-life, groups medical visits, adult mental health, COPD, musculoskeletal, and pain management.
For more information on the PSP training modules, contact
Quality Improvement Registry
Island Health’s Quality, Safety & Improvement Portfolio manages a QI Registry to support information sharing among all Island Health staff and physicians. The primary goals of the registry are to track QI projects happening at Island Health and to connect teams who may be working on similar initiatives.
The QI Registry is a secure, self-report platform (hosted by RedCap) designed to capture high-level information about each QI project. The registry is also designed to prompt thinking about data access, collection and storage and includes a simple ethics screening tool to differentiate research from QI and support risk mitigation in QI projects.
For assistance with signing into the intranet see the Island Health employees page on the public website
If you have any questions about the registry, please email QPS@viha.ca