Each physician, midwife, dentist and nurse practitioner must receive an appointment to join Island Health’s medical staff prior to practicing. The process of appointment is called "Credentialing and Privileging."
The Credentialing and Privileging team coordinates new applications for privileges, reappointments and changes to privileges as governed by Island Health's Medical Staff Bylaws and Medical Staff Rules.
Physicians, midwives, dentists and nurse practitioners in good standing with their respective college may be considered for medical staff appointment. If you are interested in applying for privileges, please contact Credentialing_Office@viha.ca
Medical Staff are required to participate in the reappointment process to confirm hospital privileges. The reappointment package is developed provincially along with input from Department Heads and the Island Health Medical Planning & Credentialing Committee (MPCC).
Process for Reappointment
- Providers will receive communication from Medical and Academic Affairs regarding the reappointment process.
- Anyone going through the reappointment process will subsequently receive an invitation sent to their email address on file to apply for reappointment via CACTUS App Central.
- The Credentialing and Privileging team will coordinate the processing of documentation and forward to the appropriate Department Heads for review.
- Once the review is completed the recommendations will be forwarded to MPCC, HAMAC and the Board for final approval.
- The Credentialing and Privileging team will confirm via correspondence the decision of the Board.