The Department of Psychiatry South Island has an opportunity for a Psychiatrist to provide Temporary inpatient and community consultation on Salt Spring Island. Key components of this position include:
1. Share hospital coverage of 19 bed General Hospital with our other Psychiatrist – on call from 1800 Sunday through 1700 hours Friday, approximately 5 – 15 hrs a week at the hospital.
2. Outpatient treatment at Salt Spring Island Community Services, providing consultation to Severe and Chronically Mentally ill, Urgent Short Term Assessment and Treatment, and Drug and Alcohol programs working with the case managers. Four sessions per month of sessional funding available in addition to fee for service billing. Approximately 10-18 hours a week.
3. Private office practice responding to needs for ongoing care, shared care and consultation from local GP’s – as much time as wished.
The ideal candidate would be a qualified psychiatrist comfortable applying the principals of large city training and practice in a small community with less psychiatric infrastructure. Psychological mindedness, self-reflective capacity and working understanding of boundaries are assets in a setting when one meets one’s patients on the street every day.
The working matrix of a small community provides challenges but also the opportunity for a deep sense of belonging, being an active part of a warm and supportive island, and living in a great place to raise a family.
May be eligible for additional remuneration in accordance with the Rural Subsidiary Agreement including:
Fee-for-Service Premium - 9.52%
As soon as possible
Salt Spring Island (approx 10,000 population) is nestled against the east shore of Vancouver Island located halfway between Victoria and Nanaimo with excellent ferry and seaplane connectivity.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work and live in an area that provides a relaxed lifestyle in a temperate climate with excellent year-round recreation and cultural amenities including but not limited to:
• A large artistic community with a variety of classes, exhibits and performances;
• Outstanding recreational opportunities – sailing, kayaking, hiking, soccer, swimming, baseball, tennis and golf included;
• K-12 education available on island
• Performing arts center, indoor pool, galleries, shopping and a small community movie theatre
• Rural environment providing opportunities for hobby farming or access to locally grown produce and farm products.
To learn more about our community please visit the following links:
Salt Spring Tourism
Salt Spring Island Chamber of Commerce
For Everything that’s Community Health – Salt Spring
Lady Minto Gulf Islands Hospital
Salt Spring Island Community Services and private office
Interested candidates, please attach your CV and a letter of interest
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for full licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia