The Cowichan Valley Department of Psychiatry of Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) is seeking part-time General Psychiatrist interested in joining the Mental Health and Substance Use (MHSU) programs.
The Cowichan Valley supports a continuum of services including Cowichan District Hospital’s (CDH) 15 bed Psychiatry In-Patient Unit which works collaboratively with primary care providers.
Through Duncan’s Mental Health Substance Use programs the successful candidate will consult to:
- Short Term Services (community Crisis Response and Brief interventions) through which the Psychiatry team provides part of the programs’ response to GP referrals.
- Case Management Services for moderate community support and a more intense ACT team (Assertive Community Treatment); plus, an Early Psychosis Intervention program.
- Substance Use programs which provide counselling and access to residential treatment. As well the program is integrating with community responses to the opioid crisis.
- All programs and services are integrated with a graduated housing program that provides a range of support for people to live in the community who otherwise could not.
- Separate psychiatric services for seniors are provided by Island Health, members of the Psychiatry team are able to participate in these services.
- Two tertiary psychiatry facilities exist in the Cowichan Valley as island-wide resources and are supported by the Duncan Psychiatrist team: Seniors tertiary care with 25 beds, and Adult tertiary care with 27 beds.
The MHSU program provides a modified psychiatrist on-call response with a crisis response team for the Cowichan District Hospital Emergency Department and everywhere throughout the hospital, connected to our consultation-liaison function. This can be supported by BC’s “Medical On Call Availability Program” (MOCAP) depending on level of service.
As Island Health is part of the UBC Faculty of Medicine Island Medical Program there is opportunity for training of medical students and residents and applying for a clinical appointment is expected.
Participation in research is supported and can be facilitated by Island Health.
Administrative duties of the position include attending clinical team meetings and providing reports to the Department of Psychiatry meetings.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of psychiatry services within a brand new, state of the art acute care campus. The new Cowichan District Hospital is expected to open Fall of 2026. Psychiatry services will include a dedicated psychiatric emergency zone embedded in the Emergency Department. There will be a four bed psychiatric intensive care unit and a 20 bed inpatient unit providing care to individuals in the Cowichan Valley.
As soon as possible
Free shared office space, secretary, telephone, fax and email.
May be eligible for additional remuneration in accordance with the Rural Subsidiary Agreement (RSA), including (subject to change):
- Recruitment Incentive: up to a maximum of $10,000 (pro-rated based on FTE)
- Relocation: up to a maximum of $15,000 (amount based on location relocating from)
- Flat fee: $4,834.80
- Fee Premium: 4.2%
- CME: $3,000/annum year 3-4 and $6,000/annum after 4 years in the community.
All part-time Psychiatry positions can be combined with available other part-time positions to create a rewarding and diverse full-time Psychiatry practice.
Located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, the City of Duncan enjoys Canada’s most temperate climate. Characterized by diverse landscapes from lush countryside to scenic coastal villages and charming inland communities, the Cowichan Valley, encompasses freshwater lakes, saltwater beaches and marinas, and farmland. The area offers a wide variety of attractions for outdoor enthusiasts including great hiking and biking trails, golfing, sailing, canoeing and ocean kayaking. In addition to many local artisans and attractions, the South Cowichan Valley boasts five top vineyards and wineries.
Public education in Duncan is complemented by renowned local private schools and located only 45 minutes south, Victoria also offers excellent educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.
Vancouver Island, one of Canada’s most livable regions, provides the very best in both urban and rural living. Renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, Vancouver Island offers an opportunity to combine a rewarding career with an enviable quality of life
Cowichan District Hospital
- Eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia
- FRCPC or FRCPC eligible
- Experience in collaborative, multidisciplinary, community care preferred.