In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at VIHA; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The IHealth Division Lead – Surgical Subspecialty, under the direction of the IHealth Initiative and CMIO, is responsible for leading the specialty specific standards development required for the clinical transformation of Island Health’s Electronic Health Record (EHR).
Service Definitions and Accountabilities
The IHealth Division Lead – Surgical Subspecialty is responsible for ensuring providers within their specialty and others in other specialties are involved in discussions regarding standard condition specific order sets as well as clinical assessment and documentation assessments that are required to support specific patient populations. Specifically, the IHealth Division Lead – Surgical Subspecialty will:
- Work with their island-wide specialty group to promote standardized documentation requirements as detailed in the Medical Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that condition specific documentation or specialty specific requirements are developed and adopted.
- Lead the appropriate island-wide representative ordering provide group to harmonize order sets for use both on paper prior to Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) implementations and after CPOE is implemented.
- The Lead will understand the order set construct and style guide principles, and adhere to the standards set by Island Health
- The Lead will promote clinical best practices through the use of order set development including but not limited to those of antimicrobial stewardship, effective laboratory utilization, Choosing Wisely etc.
- Ensures the appropriate linkage to the appropriate Quality Council and Quality Council co-chairs through regular reporting/escalation.
- Liaise with the informatics, pharmacy, nursing, and allied health team members to ensure successful development and adoption of clinical order sets.
- Support overall IHealth change management through actively engaging with their specialty colleagues to support change. This includes participating in change activities such as workflow validation, simulation exercises, and advising on the education platforms and curriculum for their specialty area.
- Ensure that clinical and professional legislative, accreditation, or practice requirements are met.
- Participate in testing events as required to ensure the design of the EHR meets the clinical workflow requirements and best practice requirements, especially orders and results management, referral management and transitions in care.
- Contribute to the evaluation of the EHR and related systems through participating in: lessons learned, provider experience feedback, benefits evaluation and metrics, and a clinical measurement framework.
- Other duties as required.
Immediately upon position being filled
- There are 2 IHealth Division Leads – Surgical Subspecialties available.
- IHealth Department and IHealth Division Leads mirror the existing physician governance structures.
- The FTE equivalents have been estimated based on the size of the division/department, number of sites where that specialty is actively represented, and the number of clinical order sets.
- For order set development, there is a stipend for the physician panelists involved in the specialty specific panel.
|Clinical Specialty||FTE (Day(s) per week) or hours commitment||Duration||
Maximum Contract Value
|Vascular Surgery||4 hours per month||18 months||$12,307.68|
|Podiatry||6 hours total||-||$1,025.64|
*Compensation will be at the sessional equivalent rate based on credentials.
To apply, please attach your CV and cover letter.
Celina Callaghan, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Graduation from a medical school of recognized standing with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. (For some specialties, a Nurse Practitioner or Midwife credential would also qualify)
- In good standing with the appropriate college such as the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia plus a level of experience equivalent to 5 years
- Clinically active, licensed to practice medicine in the Province of BC
- Active member of the Island Health Medical Staff
- Experience in working in an automated clinical environment (within an Electronic Health Record or Electronic Medical Record)
- Experience in leading change. Participating in complex, multisite or regional change initiatives is an asset.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication
- Support of the Quality Council and Division/Department Head
- Proficient in technology and software applications is an asset