The Department of Psychiatry South Island has an opportunity for a Psychiatrist to provide inpatient and community consultation on Salt Spring Island. Key components of this position include:
1. Share hospital coverage of 19 bed General Hospital with our other Psychiatrist – on call from 1800 Sunday through 1700 hours Friday, approximately 5 – 15 hrs a week at the hospital. Coverage is largely adult but includes patients of all ages from child and youth to geriatrics.
2. Outpatient treatment at the local Adult Mental Health and Substance Use Team, providing consultation to Severe and Chronically Mentally Ill, Urgent Short Term Assessment and Treatment, and Drug and Alcohol programs working with the case managers. Approximately 10-18 hours a week. The team treats adults over the age of 18.
3. Private office practice responding to needs for ongoing care, shared care and consultation from local GP’s – as much time as wished.
The ideal candidate would be a qualified psychiatrist with comfort applying the principals of large city training and practice in a small community with less psychiatric infrastructure. Psychological mindedness, self-reflective capacity, and working understanding of boundaries are assets in a setting when one meets one’s patients on the street every day.
The working matrix of a small community provides challenges but also the opportunity for a deep sense of belonging, being an active part of a warm and supportive island, and living in a great place to raise a family.
May be eligible for additional remuneration in accordance with the Rural Subsidiary Agreement including: Recruitment Incentive (up to $10,000), Fee-for-Service Premium (9.52%), Annual Flat Fee Retention Payment ($9,571.68), and Rural CME ($3,00 after 3 years; $6,000 after 4 years).
2 full-time positions available
As soon as possible
Salt Spring Island (aprox 10,000 population) is nestled against the east shore of Vancouver
Island located halfway between Victoria and Nanaimo with excellent ferry and seaplane
This is an exceptional opportunity to work and live in an area that provides a relaxed lifestyle
in a temperate climate with excellent year-round recreation and cultural amenities including
but not limited to:
• A large artistic community with a variety of classes, exhibits and performances;
• Outstanding recreational opportunities – sailing, kayaking, hiking, soccer, swimming,
baseball, tennis and golf included;
• K-12 education available on island
• Performing arts center, indoor pool, galleries, shopping and a small community movie
• Rural environment providing opportunities for hobby farming or access to locally grown
produce and farm products.
To learn more about our community please visit the following links:
Salt Spring Tourism
Salt Spring Island Chamber of Commerce
For Everything that’s Community Health – Salt Spring
Lady Minto Gulf Islands Hospital
Salt Spring Island Community Services and private office
Interested candidates, please attach your CV and letter of interest.
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for full Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia