The Cowichan Valley Department of Psychiatry has a locum opening for an experienced Psychiatrist to work on the In Patient Unit at the Cowichan District Hospital. The Inpatient Unit uses a team based care model on the 15-bed unit where psychiatrists work collaboratively with primary care providers. Additionally, the psychiatrist would collaborate with Emergency Room Physicians, the Crisis Team and upon discharge with Mental Health Substance Use (MHSU) staff from a variety of community programs.
This small community setting has a 24/7 Continuous Call Schedule that provides response with a crisis response team for the Cowichan District Hospital Emergency Department and everywhere throughout the hospital, connected to our consultation-liaison function. On-call services are supported by BC’s “Medical on Call Availability Program” (MOCAP).
Duties and Deliverables:
- Work collaboratively with Emergency Department, Primary Care, other specialist Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Midwives along with the crisis team and MHSU staff to provide consultation, develop treatment plans and facilitate inpatient care when required as a consultant.
- Educate nursing, MHSU staff, crisis regarding care plan development and in supporting treatment plans.
- Provide psychiatric assessment, treatment, concurrent patient education and follow-up as appropriate for patients.
- Participate in case management meetings and clinical administration meetings.
- Liaison with other related community institutions and services.
- Participate in Quality Assurance projects.
- Participation in an on-call schedule.
- You will be assessing and treating patients across a broad range of diagnosis including Mood, Anxiety, Adjustment, Addictions and Psychosis. Co-morbid Personality Disorders, brain injuries and other physical disorders are common.
- Clinical documentation to be maintained in the Island Health hybrid chart consistent with current and evolving standards and policy.
Free shared office space, secretary, telephone, fax and email.
Additional incentives available under Rural Subsidiary Agreement (subject to eligibility) include:
- Fee-for-service premium: 4.2%
As soon as possible.
Located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, the City of Duncan enjoys Canada’s most temperate climate. Characterized by diverse landscapes from lush countryside to scenic coastal villages and charming inland communities, the Cowichan Valley, encompasses freshwater lakes, saltwater beaches and marinas, and farmland. The area offers a wide variety of attractions for outdoor enthusiasts including great hiking and biking trails, golfing, sailing, canoeing and ocean kayaking. In addition to many local artisans and attractions, the South Cowichan Valley boasts five top vineyards and wineries.
Public education in Duncan is complemented by renowned local private schools and located only 45 minutes south, Victoria also offers excellent educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.
Vancouver Island, one of Canada’s most livable regions, provides the very best in both urban and rural living. Renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, Vancouver Island offers an opportunity to combine a rewarding career with an enviable quality of life
Cowichan District Hospital
Interested candidates, please attach your CV and letter of interest.
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for full license to practice psychiatry in British Columbia (CPSBC).
- Experience and training in comprehensive psychiatry services, and skills and experience in multidisciplinary, collaborative care and stepped care models.
- Leadership experience and training will be considered an asset.
- Capacity and interest to build relationships with the other services/staff.