Posted on: January 14, 2022
On January 13th, Island Health declared one long-term care outbreak over, while declaring two new outbreaks at homes in Nanaimo and Victoria.
Aberdeen Hospital long-term care home in Victoria
The outbreak declared on the Lansdowne unit at Aberdeen Hospital long-term care home on January 4 has been declared over. In total, two staff cases and three resident cases were attributed to this outbreak.
Aberdeen Hospital long-term care home is owned and operated by Island Health.
Staff are to be commended for their excellent work and continuing to provide high quality, compassionate care under challenging circumstances.
Outbreak response protocols will now be ended at the site.
Dufferin Place long-term care home in Nanaimo
Nine resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is only for the Cedar unit at this time.
Dufferin Place is owned and operated by Island Health.
Beacon Hill Villa long-term care home in Victoria
Three resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is limited to the first floor of the home at this time.
Beacon Hill Villa is owned and operated by West Coast Seniors Housing Management.
The case numbers reported in this bulletin are cases that have been confirmed via PCR testing or follow up from Island Health’s case and contact management team.
In general, the following outbreak response protocols have been implemented at the sites:
- No admissions or transfers to affected units;
- Essential visits can continue in outbreak units and sites;
- Staff movement will be limited wherever possible;
- No congregate dining or group activities for residents of affected units;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures will continue;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Enhanced screening of all staff and residents for symptoms;
- COVID-19 testing as determined by the Medical Health Officer and Infection Prevention and Control.
During this time, Island Health will support the sites to take any further actions required and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and licensed care facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.