Posted on: May 24, 2023
Island Health is launching a new scholarship – the Heather Simpson Scholarship. Fuelled by donor support and in partnership with the Victoria Hospitals Foundation, this scholarship aims to recognize and financially support Island Health staff who are committed to advancing their careers in the healthcare industry by funding 50% of their annual tuition!
An overview of the scholarship is provided below. For further information, please go to the Scholarships Intranet page.
What you need to know
Applicable programs include any Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree and PhD where the program is related or applicable to healthcare delivery and/or healthcare administration. All non-contract or union Island Health employees who are casual, part-time, or full-time, and in good standing can apply.
- Courses must begin within the scholarship eligibility period: January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2024.
- All applicants must provide paid tuition receipts indicating payment was made during the scholarship eligibility period.
- A one (1) year return of service commitment applies, beginning as soon as the funds are received.
- The delivery of the program/course may be through distance education or in-person attendance at an education institution.
What you need to do
- An application link can be found on the Scholarships Intranet page. Applications must include a written portion, either in essay format or bullet points (1-2 pages maximum).
- The submission should also include a short quote from an Island Health peer (2-3 sentences) recommending the applicant for this scholarship.
- Preference is given to those who have been with Island Health five years or more.
- Preference is given to those attending a local, public post-secondary institution.
- Preference is given to those with financial need.
- Staff can apply to both the general Island Health Scholarship, as well as the new Heather Simpson Scholarship.
The application period for the Heather Simpson Scholarship will open from May 1 to May 31, 2023.
Applicants need to complete all application components by 4:00pm on May 31, 2023.
Applicants will be contacted by July 15th to be notified of their application status.
For more information, visit the Scholarships Intranet page.
If you have any questions, please contact Scholarships@islandhealth.ca.