Work continues to provide COVID-19 vaccinations as quickly as possible to priority populations in Island Health. The first clinic in Victoria has been very successful so far and additional clinics will open in other Island communities in early January. Work is also underway to launch a vaccination program for long-term care residents.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
The COVID-19 vaccine is being provided according to priorities set by the Provincial Health Officer, starting with staff, physicians and residents of long-term care and assisted living. The current priority list is below:
From December to February:
- Staff, physicians and residents of long-term care residences
- Staff and residents of assisted living residences
- Individuals who have been assessed and are awaiting a long-term care placement
- Essential visitors in long-term care and assisted living
- Paramedics, healthcare workers and physicians who provide hospital frontline care in ICUs, medical/surgical units and emergency departments.
- Remote and isolated First Nations communities
In February/March the vaccination program will expand to include:
- Community-based seniors 80+ (65+ Indigenous seniors and elders)
- People experiencing homelessness and/or using shelters; provincial correctional facilities, group homes (adults); mental health residential care (adults)
- Long term home support recipients and staff
- Hospital staff, community GPs and medical specialists.
Long-term care and assisted living staff and physicians are being contacted by email about vaccination appointments. Only long-term care and assisted living staff and physicians are eligible to book vaccination appointments at this time.
More vaccine shipments will arrive over the next few weeks and we will continue to vaccinate priority populations in line with the provincial Vaccination Strategy released last week by Dr. Henry.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
Continue to observe all health orders – avoid any gatherings outside your household or core bubble, wear a mask in public indoor settings, maintain physical distance, avoid non-essential travel, stay home if you are sick and wash your hands often.
Check your email and medical staff COVID-19 vaccination page for ongoing information and updates.
If you are a long-term care provider, and you have not received a link to the intake form for vaccination appointments please email: COVIDVaccine@viha.ca.