Posted on: December 28, 2021
Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak on the second floor at Amica Douglas House long-term care home in Victoria. Two staff members at the site have tested positive for COVID-19. At this time, no residents are experiencing symptoms and the outbreak declaration is limited to the second floor. Communication with residents, families and staff is underway.
Amica Douglas House is owned and operated by Amica Senior Lifestyles. Island Health is working with site leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been implemented at the site:
- No admissions or transfers to the second floor;
- Visitation on the second floor is limited to essential visits only;
- Staff movement will be limited;
- No congregate dining or group activities;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures will continue;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents continues;
- COVID-19 testing as determined by the Medical Health Officer.
During this time, Island Health will support the site to take any further actions required and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and licensed care facilities.