The following has been sent on behalf of Dr. Stephen Hentschel, Medical Director, Surgical Services and Alison Dormuth, Director, Perioperative Services & Surgical Strategy.
As mandated by the Ministry of Health and BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCCD), all surgical patients must be screened for risk of COVID-19 24-72 hours preoperatively and on the day of surgery. This includes inpatient units, critical care or Emergency Department (ED) screening prior to sending the patient to the Operating Room (OR). The final screen is completed prior to the surgical procedure by the Physician and Procedure team. Pre-Admission Clinic (PAC), Surgical Daycare (SDC), OR, ED, critical care, inpatient units, obstetrics and pediatrics should currently be screening surgical patients as per the Island Health Pre-Operative COVID-19 Screening Guidelines and via the COVID-19 Pre-Procedure Assessment Form.
What you need to know:
On July 15, 2020 a COVID-19 Pre-Procedure Assessment Powerform will be activated in PowerChart with the goal that Island Health staff and Physicians who care for surgical patients regionally will begin documenting pre-procedure COVID-19 screening electronically in PowerChart. When and where possible, it is best to complete the form electronically to support a streamlined workflow and reporting. For sites where it is not possible, due to device (computer) or space constraints, please continue with the paper process for now.
We will take a phased approach to implementation:
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (RJH), Victoria General Hospital (VGH), Saanich Peninsula Hospital (SPH), Campbell River General (CRG) and Comox Valley Hospital (CVH): Implement on July 15, 2020
- Cowichan District Hospital (CDH) and West Coast General Hospital (WCGH): Implementation to be determined. The Informatics team will conduct a technological device assessment to determine resource requirements.
What you need to do:
- Please communicate this practice change out to your managers and teams. Determine how to implement at your site in order to ensure consistent documentation and information transfer across care transitions and programs.
Managers and Educators:
- Ensure that your teams are educated and prepared to document COVID-19 screening electronically.
- Education resources are available to assist you:
- Learning Management System (LMS) Module- Communicating COVID-19 in the EHR: Pre-Procedure Assessment and Screening (ONLY required for staff who have NEVER documented on Powerforms in the Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Link to EHR documentation on COVID-19 Intranet page: Communicating COVID-19 in the EHR: Completing Education
- Staff Play domain will be ready to activate June 24, 2020
- In person (on the ground support at each site) will be available through informatics.
- Provider Education & Experience has created a short LMS course for physicians who care for surgical patients regionally and will begin documenting pre-procedure COVID-19 screening electronically in PowerChart.
- You can access the course in the LMS here: COVID-19 Pre-Procedure Screening Form for VIHA Physicians
- Sign up instructions for LMS: http://learninghubhelp.phsa.ca/resources
If you have any questions, please contact Jen Duda (Jennifer.Duda@viha.ca).
Dr. Hentschel and Alison Dormuth