Getting to know Island Health
- For general information about Island Health please visit our public website.
Photo ID and access card
- Your photo ID and access card (if applicable) are ordered for you by your local credentialing office. You should plan to pick these up on your first day. Please refer to your recommendation for approval of privileges letter for the location of your card pick up.
- If you have lost or need to replace your photo ID, please contact photoID@viha.ca.
- Photo ID sessions are regularly scheduled at most sites. To view schedules, please visit the Photo ID page on the Island Health intranet. For help connecting to the intranet, see Island Health's employee page.
- There is a charge for parking at South Island sites and at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. Generally, demand exceeds supply. Please see our parking maps for where to park at Island Health sites.
- To obtain information on physician parking rates and how to obtain a parking permit, please contact parking services directly:
- Additional information such as parking office hours, bicycle storage, and alternative commuting options is available through Parking Services.
Island Health email
- You will receive an Island Health email address (@viha.ca) with your Island Health network account. This email address is a primary conduit for Island Health communication.
- Your network account has been requested for you by your local credentialing office. Once approved, you will receive an email containing your network login information, email address and temporary password. Please follow the instructions provided to reset your password.
- You can access your Island Health email account at any site using your Island Health network login or when off-site, by typing http://mail.viha.ca/ into your web browser.
Physician lounges and mailboxes
- Some Island Health facilities have physician lounges available only to medical staff. Local site directors can direct you to them.
- To request a mailbox at NRGH, RJH, or VGH, please contact Credentialing_Office@viha.ca.
- To request a mailbox at all other facilities, please contact the facility administration office.
- Please note: Locums must use the mailbox of the physician they are providing coverage for.
Computer training and support
- Island Health’s intranet site offers a variety of online tutorials for common computer assistance, such as:
- The IM/IT Service Desk is also available to assist:
Electronic Health Record
- All physicians are required to attend Electronic Health Record education and training (in person or remotely) prior to their first patient visit. Physicians will be contacted by the Electronic Health Record team to schedule an appointment. To contact the training team directly, please email: EHRProviderEducation@viha.ca
- You will need your network login and password for your Electronic Health Record education session. Your network account has been requested for you by your local credentialing office. Once approved, you will receive an email containing your network login information and temporary password. Please follow the instructions provided to reset your password.
- Island Health offers transcription and dictation services. Please view the eScription dictation instructions document for more information.
PowerChart Access for Medical Office Assistants
We are now providing PowerChart access (view-only) to Medical Office Assistants (MOA) in the community.
To ensure MOAs receive community access in a timely manner, please follow the steps below:
- Prior to requesting MOA access, ensure the responsible community provider(s) already has PowerChart access. If providers do not have access to PowerChart, please contact the appropriate Island Health team prior to requesting access:
- Complete and submit the MOA Intake Form to MOAPowerChart@viha.ca.
- Our team will contact you via email with an Information Sharing Agreement to complete and return.
- Once the Information Sharing Agreement is returned to us, within approximately two weeks you will receive your account information and instructions to complete the education module. The education is an eLearning module which takes up to 1 hour to complete.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact MOAPowerChart@viha.ca.
|Click here for PowerChart Training Information|
|Click here to learn How to Log-in to Learning Hub|
- Island Health’s intranet site has more detail on all the information above. You must use your @viha email to log on and access the intranet.