In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible and accountable for the comprehensive assessment of patients/clients/residents including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions. The Nurse practitioner initiates treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribes medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions, policy and guidelines. The Nurse Practitioners provides professional guidance to other health professionals and practices autonomously and interdependently within the context of an interdisciplinary health care team, making referrals to physicians and others as appropriate.
This position collaborates with patients/clients/residents and other members of the interdisciplinary team to identify and asses trends and patterns that have implications for patients/clients/residents, families and communities; develops and implement population and evidence based strategies to improve health and participates in policy-making activities that influence health services and practices. The position participates in peer review and self review to evaluate the outcome of services at the patient/client/resident, community and population level.
As soon as possible
Colourful seaside community of Port Hardy, on the north-eastern coast of Vancouver Island, is the largest town of the North Island and is the gateway to Cape Scott Provincial Park.
The community is home to a population of 3,800 residents and offers affordable housing and boasts a broad range of services and retail outlets. Port Hardy is a supply center to the mid-coast area and while its main industries were historically based in mining, fishing and forestry, it is emerging as a green ecotourism destination on Vancouver Island.
Spectacular mountain views, large expanses of natural wilderness and miles of undeveloped coastline are readily accessibly, providing an ideal venue for sport fishing, scuba diving, caving, kayaking and recreational boating. In winter tackle the slopes at Mount Cain...no line ups, 18 runs, and 300cm annual average of powder. And with 1499 vertical feet of terrain, its peak elevation is second only to Whistler, in all of BC, Alaska and Washington State.
To view and apply for this position go to:
Port Hardy Primary Care Centre
Medical Staff Recruitment
Registration with BC College of Nursing Professionals as a practicing NP registrant; successful completion of the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) and two (2) years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with patients/clients/residents and families about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, self-care and prognosis.
- Ability to collaborate, consult with and formally refer patients/clients/residents to physicians and other health professionals when appropriate.
- Ability to critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices ability to introduce education and evidence based research.
- Ability to assess and recognize population health trends ability to plan and implement strategies for population based prevention and health promotion.
- Ability to implement and evaluate planned change.
- Ability to supervise other and evaluate the care they deliver.
- Ability to lead a team and work within a team.
- Ability to self-direct, interact, and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic situations.
- Ability to transfer knowledge, teach, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in patient/client/resident care.
- Ability to self-assess performance an assume responsibility and accountability for own professional development, educational or consultative assistance when appropriate.
- Physical ability carry out the duties of the position.