To improve portability, all currently privileged Island Health medical staff will be granted temporary admitting privileges at all Island Health facilities for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. Privileges will be for the same department(s) and same core and non-core privileges that the practitioner currently holds. The scope of practice for physicians who support sites outside their normal areas will depend upon what can be supported at those sites. The location of specific types of services may need to be re-assessed as the situation evolves.
- Community physicians who do not carry Island Health privileges whom need to be privileged will be able to apply using a simplified application form.
- Retired physicians (less than 2 years) who would like to come back to provide support needs can have their College license re-instated and be privileged.
- General Internal Medicine (GIM) residents (R4 and R5) have been authorized by the College to be licenced to practice during the pandemic emergency
If you, or you know someone who meets the above criteria, please direct them to or send their contact information to Credentialing_office@viha.ca The Credentialing and Privileging team will support physicians to obtain a license (if needed), privileges and set them up with IMIT/facilities access.
To identify your availability for re-deployment please complete the following intake form (click here).
Licensure Information from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C.
- BC physicians who recently retired (no more than two years ago)
- R5 and R4 residents in internal medicine
- Physicians in the academic class of registration
- Clinical fellows in the last year of their three-year fellowship
- Physicians licensed for independent practice elsewhere in Canada or the USA
|Click here to read communication from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C. | March 19|