The Medical Director, Palliative & End of Life Care is a co-leadership position with a key role in supporting excellence in palliative and end of life care at Island Health. In partnership with the Director, the Medical Director works proactively with others, including patients, to ensure continuous quality improvement of service delivery. Responsibilities include operational and quality oversight of the specialist palliative care consult teams and advancing strategies to support the provision of generalist palliative care and advance care planning. Collaboration with geographic medical leaders and Divisions of Family Practice are critical components of the position. This position reports to both an Executive Medical Director and an Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Leadership: Co-leads and oversees activities to ensure program service delivery is efficient, effective and integrated across Island Health sites; Links with appropriate Departmental Medical Leaders to address matters of physician governance, including professional medical practice issues.
2. Operations & Quality: Establishes processes and structures to engage physicians and staff in continuous quality improvement of service delivery; Monitors program budget and performance jointly with co-leader, and makes course corrections when necessary; Ensures appropriate investigation and resolution of program-related Patient Safety Learning System (PSLS) and Patient Care and Quality Office (PCQO) events.
3. Change Management: Co-develops and implements change management plans to engage and support physicians and staff through change.
4. Informatics: Oversees activities that advance technology and data use to improve service delivery using the Electronic Health Records (EHR) in collaboration with the Quality Systems team.
5. Planning: Assess, monitor and anticipate program resource needs and work with medical leaders and administrative leaders to prioritize these needs within available resources
Additional contract content
- Will work collaboratively in a co-leadership model with assigned Director
- Chairs or co-chairs relevant quality and operational committees
- Will use Island Health email address as primary email address for work related to this position
- Will strive to achieve the deliverables agreed to in the contract.
- Will dedicate time to this position during Island Health regular working hours, or as agreed upon with the Executive Medical Director and Executive Director
- Will participate in orientation and training
Additional specific deliverables are available upon request from the Medical Staff Recruitment Office.
Interested candidates please attach your CV and letter of interest:
Shannon Williams, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Fax: (250) 716-7747
Current member in good standing of the Island Health active Medical Staff.
Experience as a palliative care physician is essential.