The Department of Psychiatry of Island Health has an opportunity for a Psychiatrist to provide ambulatory and outreach care through Assertive Community Treatment (ACT).
We are seeking a part-time Psychiatrist with strong leadership abilities to help lead clinical teams, and who is collaborative and enjoys working as part of a team. The successful candidate must have:
- Relevant experience or interest working in tertiary-level services.
- A recovery-oriented approach.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An established track record of exemplary team work, including experience working with team members to plan and lead discharges from the facility and admissions from inpatient and community referral sources.
- An interest and experience working with patients living persistent or frequently recurring psychosis and other high level tertiary care needs.
- A passion for delivering interactive and dynamic care in the facility, ambulatory and outreach work settings.
- Provision of clinical care to clients of the Pandora ACT team and Step ACT teams, together with other members of the clinical care team.
- Vacation and absence coverage for psychiatrists of the other South Island (SI) ACT teams and Seven Oaks Hospital as needed (such coverage will also be provided to the successful candidates by these psychiatrists as needed.
- Participation in SI on-call schedule.
- Participates in the SI Department of Psychiatry and in the Division of Tertiary (Mental Health) Care including the promotion and fostering of programmatic evaluation and quality improvement.
- Attendance in clinical team meetings and providing reports to the Department of Psychiatry meetings.
Teaching & Research
- Coordinating and ensuring an excellent learning experience for medical and other students and residents. Appointment to the University of British Columbia (UBC) Department of Psychiatry, and with the UBC Island Medical School, is an expectation of this position.
- There is no research requirement but ample opportunity for an interested psychiatrist.
Office space, computer and administrative support as part of the general service.
Victoria, British Columbia’s scenic capital, is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty and enviable quality of life, this is an ideal place to pursue your medical career and create the kind of lifestyle only dreamt about. Few areas in the world can match BC’s scope of outdoor activities, with Vancouver Island offering everything from skiing and snowboarding, to golf, and world-class fishing. With Victoria’s temperate climate, its rich heritage and vibrant cultural scene, it provides the very best of urban and rural living.
Assertive Community Treatment Centre, 941 Pandora Ave, Victoria BC
Seven Oaks Mental Health, 4575 Blenkinsop Road, Victoria, BC
Interested candidates, please attach your CV, letter of interest, and names of 3 references:
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for full licensure in psychiatry with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC)