In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, Values and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health), patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting jointly to the Vice President, Priority Populations and Initiatives and to the Vice President, Medicine, Quality, and Academic Affairs, the Executive Medical Director (EMD), Primary Care & Seniors Health, in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), has a critical role in leading the transformation of health care services in Primary Care and community based services for seniors and those with complex medical conditions. This position is responsible for advancing strategies to ensure Island Health is positioned to meet the primary care and seniors population needs within our communities on an immediate and long-term basis.
The EMD mentors and oversees performance of Medical Directors within the Portfolio (Primary Care, Seniors Health, Long Term Care, and Palliative and End of Life).
In co-management with the ED, the EMD develops and fosters collaborative partnerships with Clinical-Service-Delivery leaders, including geographic EDs and EMDs and Community Directors and Medical Directors to set the strategic direction for development of comprehensive service plans for primary care networks and specialized community services, which will be implemented locally. The EMD partners with Divisions of Family Practice and other stakeholders at local levels.
The EMD will have joint responsibility for a number of programs including Primary and Community Care, Seniors Health Strategy, Home and Community Care Strategy, Long Term Care (Residential Care), and the End of Life Program.
The EMD partners with the Island Health Virtual Care Team to enhance distance-based care across Island Health in multiple settings, and supports physician practice optimization by leading the Practice Support Program for Island Health. The EMD co-directs the development and implementation of program service-delivery models, business plans, priorities, goals and operating budgets, with a focus on people, financial and physical resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary Care / Seniors Health
1. Co-leads strategic planning and quality improvement for Primary and Community Care and community-based specialized services supporting Complex Medical Patients and Frail Seniors across Island Health, including the implementation of strategies to achieve Ministry of Health (MoH) initiatives and directives.
- Oversees and/or leads the creation and development of plans to support new initiatives, innovative services and operational models within Primary Care, Long Term Care (Residential Care), Programs, seniors’ services and Chronic Disease Management.
2. Participates in meetings that develop relationships with primary care providers, including Family Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Specialists, in order to collaborate on services that will further the Primary and Community Care and Seniors Health agenda.
3. Represents Island Health in partnership with the ED, as a key strategic partner at Ministry of Health meetings in Primary and Community Care and Complex Medical/Seniors specialized community service programs.
4. Provides leadership in the development of island-wide plans and standards in close alignment with geographic based leadership to implement primary and community care and Seniors Health plans.
5. Co-leads the development of island-wide strategies for complex medical and seniors services, Long Term Care (Residential Care) services, and Palliative and End of Life services. Collaborates on the implementation of these strategies with local geographic operational leadership.
6. Implements assigned elements of the medical staff resource management plan to ensure necessary and appropriate service continuity including recruitment, retention deployment, performance standards and practice models.
7. Participates as a member of the Priority Populations and Initiatives Portfolio to ensure cross program planning for high priority populations and partners with Mental Health and Substance Use; Public Health; and Child, Youth, and Family partners for effective strategies to support these populations.
8. In partnership with the ED, provides executive oversight of the Program Quality Councils within the Portfolio and participates on the Combined Quality Oversight Council.
9. Collaborates with Island Health's technology and informatics leaders, proving leadership in the advancement and use of Island Health's Electronic Health Record (EHR) and virtual-care technologies in support of the organization's vision and priorities.
10. Monitors and is accountable for compliance with ethical and legal requirements, accreditation standards and provincial and federal legislation and regulation.
11. Supports the Island Medical Program and partners with the representatives of the University of BC and the University of Victoria.
12. Participates in the activities of the Health Authority Medical Advisory Committee.
13. Demonstrates effective mentoring skills in the development of portfolio medical staff.
14. Creates a learning environment, promoting research and education initiatives of staff and medical staff.
15. Represents Island Health as a media spokesperson for specific portfolio issues.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Additional Information: 0.8 FTE
Interested candidates, please attach your CV, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for 3 referees.
Shannon Williams, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Must be a physician eligible for registration with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and have ten (10) to fifteen (15) years of experience as a practicing physician.
- A record of effective medical leadership is required and experience in a senior medical administrative position is preferred
- Knowledge of Primary Care and Seniors Priority Populations is desirable
- Sound working knowledge of planning concepts related to budgetary, staffing, quality and strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to adapt readily to rapid and changing environments.
- Ability to interact professionally and collegially with staff and medical staff both internally and externally.
- In-depth understanding of health services and operations.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated ongoing commitment to professional development.
- LEADS in a Caring Environment Framework: https://www.leadscanada.net/site/framework