Island Health seeks applicants for the position of Vice-Chair of HAMAC, for up to a three-year term, renewable twice by the Board of Directors (Board) after considering HAMAC’s advice. This Medical Staff Governance role reports to the HAMAC Chair and the Board of Directors of VIHA (Island Health), in collaboration with the Executive Vice-President and Chief Medical Officer.
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, Values, and strategic direction of Island Health, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at Island Health; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Chair and Vice-Chair of the HAMAC are appointed by the Board after considering the recommendation from HAMAC.
Reporting to the Board through the HAMAC Chair and working collaboratively with the Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer (EVP/CMO), the Vice-Chair assists the Chair to fulfill the Chair’s responsibilities as outlined in the Medical Staff Bylaws (Bylaws) and Medical Staff Rules (Rules) for Island Health.
The Vice Chair participates in the meetings of the HAMAC Executive, HAMAC and the Medical Planning and Credentialing Committee (MPCC) and acts as the HAMAC Chair in the Chair’s absence.
The Chair of HAMAC, or the Vice-Chair at the Chair’s request, informs and advises the Board of motions, recommendations and decisions of HAMAC and provides HAMAC’s advice to the Board on other matters as outlined in the Bylaws and Rules.
The Vice-Chair attends meetings of the Board of Directors at the request of the HAMAC Chair, Board Chair or the appropriate Board Committee Chair, to advise the Board as outlined in articles 9.1.2 and 9.1.3 of the Bylaws.
The applicant must be an active member of the Island Health Medical Staff. A record of effective medical leadership is required. Experience in a senior medical administrative position is valued. Familiarity with the Bylaws and Rules and a commitment to lead in accordance with them is essential
Demonstrated Leadership Skills:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to interact professionally and collaboratively with various leaders and staff, both internally and externally
- Competencies as described in the LEADS Capabilities Framework:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness
- Manages Self
- Develops Self
- Demonstrates Character
- Fosters the Development of Others
- Contributes to the Creation of a Healthy Organization
- Communicates Effectively
- Builds Effective Teams
- Builds Partnerships and Networks to Create Results
- Demonstrates a Commitment to Customers and Service
- Mobilizes Knowledge
- Navigates Socio-Political Environments
- Demonstrates Systems/Critical Thinking
- Encourages and Supports Innovation
- Strategically Oriented to the Future
- Champions and Orchestrates Change
As soon as possible
Interested candidates please attach your CV, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for 3 referees.
Shannon Williams, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Fax: (250) 716-7747
Active member of the Island Health Medical Staff