The South Island Department of Psychiatry has an opening for a 0.5 FTE General Psychiatry Inpatient Psychiatrist position, providing comprehensive psychiatry services at the General Psychiatry Inpatient Unit (2NE) in the RJH Patient Care Centre.
The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary professional team including nursing, social work, occupational therapy, and other psychiatrists providing inpatient adult psychiatric care on a unit with 15 beds. We are looking for someone with strong communication skills who supports and encourages full scope of professional practice within the interdisciplinary team and who collaboratively facilitates transition of ongoing care to outpatient and primary care partners.
Clinical Duties Include:
- Working together as an inter-professional team, patients are assessed and provided appropriate inpatient care. Patients present with a broad range of diagnoses including Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Disorder and Major Depressive Disorders. Co-morbid addictions, personality disorders, brain injuries and other physical disorders are common.
- Participating in a collaborative fashion the successful candidate will work with an interdisciplinary team including information from multiple staff assessments and observations to help create a clear diagnosis and participate collaboratively in creating an interdisciplinary care plan. The successful candidate will be involved in empowering and training the interdisciplinary staff to provide comprehensive recovery focused and evidence-based treatments that are also centered around the best care for each unique patient and family. Participation in meetings with family members both for additional information and for education and sharing/creating care planning where appropriate is expected. Ensuring excellent discharge planning and facilitating appropriate follow-up care is essential.
- Clinical documentation will be maintained according to the evolving Island Health standards.
On call responsibility is mandatory for Island Health psychiatry services.
As Island Health is part of the UBC Faculty of Medicine Island Medical Program there is opportunity for training of medical students and residents and applying for a clinical appointment is expected.
Participation in research is strongly encouraged and facilitated by Island Health.
Administrative duties of the position include, attending clinical team meetings and provide reports to the Department of Psychiatry meetings.
Ward space for assessments, office tasks, and documentation is available, computer and administrative support as part of the general service.
As soon as possible
RJH Patient Care Centre – General Psychiatry Inpatient Unit (2NE)
Interested Psychiatrists are asked to submit a cover letter detailing their interest in the position, updated CV and the names of three references to:
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Full licensure to practice psychiatry in British Columbia (CPSBC)
- FRCPC-eligible “mandatory”
- Experience and training in comprehensive psychiatry services, general psychiatry service, and acute inpatient psychiatric service preferred
- Leadership experience and training will be considered an asset
- Capacity and interest to build relationships with the other services/staff
- Interest and flexibility in pursuing innovative models of providing inpatient care is required.