The Nexus Primary Care Clinic is a Nurse-Practitioner-led primary health care clinic in Nanaimo, British Columbia. We are looking for a Nurse-Practitioner to join our team. Join us in building healthier communities along with our multidisciplinary, collaborative team. Our clinic is operated by the Nexus Patient and Community Care Society (non-profit organization) in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Island Health.
In this service contract position, the Nurse-Practitioner will work as part of a cohesive team with their own unique role and scope in the provision of patient care, working collaboratively to make sure that the patients' needs are met in the most effective way possible. This Nurse-Practitioner Primary Care Clinic models the attributes of:
- Inter-professional team collaboration
- Patient care and team culture is driven by our organizational values, which include: Kindness, Trust, Respect, Gratitude, and Safety
- Patient are attached to a most responsible provider within the clinic and will have access to other care providers most appropriate to meet their health needs
- Appropriate same day access, as can be appropriately accommodated and some outreach is expected
- Comprehensive assessment of patients including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions
- Initiate treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribe medications
- Provide medical coordination and participate in multidisciplinary team planning for the ongoing health needs of patients
- Participate in the development and operation of a team-based practice to enhance overall care provision that include, but is not limited to: health promotion/disease prevention, chronic disease management, specialty care of specific populations (eg. transcare, people struggling with substance-use, frail elders, pediatric)
- Clinical teaching/preceptorship
- Clinical administrative services including: panel management, participation in clinic policy review and development, reviews of incidents, quality improvement initiatives
We offer in -person, video and phone appointments. Providers will be expected to offer 3 in clinic days per week.
Nanaimo is a growing, vibrant, and family-oriented community that enjoys access to abundant outdoor activities, with proximity to Victoria and Vancouver is just a 90-minute ferry or 20-minute seaplane ride away.
The community of 85,000 offers a wide variety of cultural and educational opportunities including an 800 seat waterfront theatre, the Vancouver Island University and adjacent renowned private school options.
Nanaimo offers a true West Coast experience with great access to skiing, hiking, surfing, kayaking, and more. It has been featured in Outside magazine as one of the top recreation cities in North America, and its climate is considered the best in Canada.
Nexus Primary Care Clinic
Medical Staff Recruiter
- Current or anticipated provisional/practicing registration as a Nurse-Practitioner with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Relevant, clinical nursing experience
- Ability to work in a trauma informed capacity
- Completion of BCCNM approved controlled drug and substance prescribing course
- Additional advanced skill and competencies will be considered with the goal of building a team of NPs with diversity in expertise. Some of these could include: Advanced prescribing e.g. Opioid agonist therapy, Antiretroviral therapy; Advance procedures eg. IUD insertion, advanced wound debridement; Advanced practice with specialty populations.