In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible and accountable for the comprehensive assessment of patients/clients/residents including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions. The Nurse practitioner initiates treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribes medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions, policy and guidelines. The Nurse Practitioner provides professional guidance to other health professionals and practices autonomously and interdependently within the context of an interdisciplinary health care team, making referrals to physicians and others as appropriate.
This position collaborates with patients/clients/residents and other members of the interdisciplinary team to identify and asses trends and patterns that have implications for patients/clients/residents, families and communities; develops and implement population and evidence based strategies to improve health and participates in policy-making activities that influence health services and practices. The position participates in peer review and self review to evaluate the outcome of services at the patient/client/resident, community and population level.
This position will directly be assessing patients within the Seniors Outreach Patient Clinic within the Cowichan Valley. Emphasis will be placed on building and growing the role to assess patients within the newly designed clinic while working with an interdisciplinary team. BCNU: Please note, only applicants that are fully vaccinated (7 days past their second dose of vaccine) are able to work at Island Health. This position is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination order. This offer of employment is conditional upon you providing proof of your vaccination status prior to your first day. If proof of full vaccination (7 days past the second dose of vaccine) is not provided prior to the effective date, this offer will be rescinded. PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION WILL BE POSTED FOR 72 HOURS. NOTE CLOSING DATE Recent negotiations with the Nurses Bargaining Association (NBA) have resulted in changes to the hiring language in the Collective Agreement ( Article 18.01- First Consideration). The internal application process for nurse postings has been changed to ensure that you are aware of the need to provide the following relevant information with your application (within your Cover Letter and/or Resume). 1) Qualifications (Education & Experience): Please list how you meet the qualification requirements as noted in the job posting. 2) Qualifications (Skills & Abilities): Please explain how you meet each of the critical unit specific skills and abilities to work successfully in this position on this unit. Refer to the Job Posting for Skills & Abilities. The change to application process will help managers determine if internal applicants meet education and experience qualifications, and have the necessary unit skills and abilities contained in the job description.
Duncan SORT Team - Duncan, BC V9L 1E8 CA
Apply directly on VI-Hire. VI Hire - Nurse Practitioner - (160424) (hrsmart.com)
Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing NP registrant; successful completion of the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) and two (2) years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with patients/clients/residents and families about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, self-care and prognosis.
- Ability to collaborate, consult with and formally refer patients/clients/residents to physicians and other health professionals when appropriate.
- Ability to critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices ability to introduce education and evidence based research.
- Ability to assess and recognize population health trends ability to plan and implement strategies for population based prevention and health promotion.
- Ability to implement and evaluate planned change.
- Ability to supervise other and evaluate the care they deliver.
- Ability to lead a team and work within a team.
- Ability to self-direct, interact, and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic situations.
- Ability to transfer knowledge, teach, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in patient/client/resident care.
- Ability to self-assess performance an assume responsibility and accountability for own professional development, educational or consultative assistance when appropriate.
- Physical ability carry out the duties of the position.