The MHSU Virtual Care Physician Champion is a co-leadership position with operational decision-making responsibilities focused on ensuring high quality and access to virtual care options in Island Health MHSU. The physician champion works proactively with others (including patients) to enhance teamwork (including collaboration between physicians and staff) and to facilitate continuous quality improvement of MHSU virtual care services across Vancouver Island. This position reports to the MHSU Medical Director.
Main responsibilities of this position:
1. Leadership: Encourages and engages physicians in the provision of Telehealth care for those requiring mental health, substance use, and addictions medicine consultations. Co-leads activities to ensure physicians and staff work as a team to provide, monitor and improve service delivery via Telehealth; Links with appropriate Division Heads and Chiefs of Staff to address matters of physician governance, including professional medical practice issues.
2. Operations & Quality: Implements processes and structures to engage physicians and staff in continuous quality improvement of virtual care service delivery;
3. Change Management: Acts as change management ‘champion’ to engage and support physicians and staff in utilizing telehealth to reduce wait times and increase access to specialized psychiatric services for clients, particularly those in rural/remote areas.
4. Planning: Assesses, monitors and anticipates team resource needs and works with medical leaders and administrative leaders to prioritize these needs within available resources. Considers the developing Island Health and Ministerial priorities in quality improvement opportunities.
Additional specific deliverables are available upon request from the Medical Staff Recruitment Office.
As soon as possible
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Active member of the Island Health Medical Staff
- Training/certification in addictions medicine (preferred)
- Interest in innovations and virtual care enhancements