Island Health (the Vancouver Island Health Authority) seeks a part-time Medical Director (MD) for the Medical and Academic Affairs portfolio, working primarily in the Enhanced Medical Staff Support (EMSS) service, under the direction of and reporting to the Executive Medical Director of Medical Staff Governance and the Chief Medical Officer. The geographic location for this position is flexible and may be tailored to suit the successful candidate. Personal credibility with physicians will be a key determinant of success, and for this reason we are seeking to appoint a physician.
Enhanced Medical Staff Support (EMSS) comprises a range of services to support medical leaders dealing with medical staff whose performance or behaviour in the work environment is challenging or raises professional concerns. The approach is supportive whenever possible and focused on developing insight and seeking positive resolution. The job has two main components: reactive operational work to support medical leaders dealing with active problems and a proactive work program to build capacity and capability to enable medical leaders and their administrative staff to better deal with, document and resolve these issues. The EMSS team comprises the EMD of Medical Staff Governance, the MD EMSS (this post), and an EMSS Consultant, and provides support to leaders across the Island.
- Provide leadership and direction for implementation and ongoing development of the EMSS service.
- Provide advice and active support to medical leaders and their administrative support staff, Local Medical Advisory Committees (LMACs), medical staff, and staff from across the organization on emergent EMSS issues and other Medical and Academic Affairs work.
- When required, liaise with agencies from outside Island Health on EMSS issues. These may include the professional colleges such as the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC, lawyers, medical leaders from other Health Authorities, and others.
- Liaise with other Island Health departments (detailed below), clinical programs, geographical structures and departments as required to ensure a comprehensive and coherent approach to managing EMSS issues
Ensures the EMSS service is:
- Aligned with Island Health strategic goals and objectives, and with the program goals and objectives of Medical and Academic Affairs.
- Credible with the Medical Staff Organization.
- Benchmarked and measurable to ensure movement towards a goal.
- In effective communication with all stakeholders.
- Integrated within and across programs, geographies and services.
- Delivered in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provides direction and leadership of the EMSS team.
- Provides a (part-time) point of contact for medical leaders dealing with EMSS issues
- Works with the CMO, EMD, and EMSS Consultant, to provide a well-governed, coherent and efficient EMSS service.
- Briefs CMO on emergent issues and risks.
- Assists CMO and EMD with developing direction and strategy for EMSS.
- Interprets direction and strategy provided by CMO and EMD to deliver consistent and high-quality EMSS service procedures for use by medical leaders and others dealing with EMSS issues.
- Works with medical leaders to maintain timeline and tempo of EMSS issues.
- Maintains broad awareness of cases and issues.
- Provides editorial oversight of confidential weekly summary of EMSS issues.
- May conduct investigations commissioned by CMO when local leadership is involved, compromised, or unable to respond.
- May include Stage 3 reviews.
Liaises on operational matters with (not exclusive):
- QPS and other quality-related departments;
- Psychological Safety/Respectful Workplace; Risk Management;
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC;
- Physician Health Program; and
- Legal advisors, both internal and external.
- Teaches and coaches leaders on EMSS matters,
including medical, other professions and administrative.
Research & organizational learning
- Contributes to knowledge base, both internal and external.
- Provides content for EMSS training events.
As soon as possible
Eva Vincent, Manager
Medical Staff Recruitment, Credentialing & Privileging
- Active privileges on the Medical Staff at Island Health with current registration with the College of Physicians & Surgeons of BC.
- Training and experience in multidisciplinary and medical quality, patient safety work or medical education would be an advantage.
- Experience as a staff physician – preferably in a variety of settings and organizations with multiple years experience.
- A record of effective medical leadership is required, and experience in a medical administrative position is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to adapt readily to a rapid and changing environment and respond with initiative.
- Ability to interact professionally with various levels of personnel, both internally and externally.
- In-depth understanding of health services and operations