The Department of Psychiatry of Island Health has an opportunity for an Adult Psychiatrist in the Comox Valley doing both inpatient and outpatient general psychiatry. This is funded via mixed billing of MSP and sessional billing. We are a growing community with a new hospital and subspecialist clinicians available for child and adolescent, geriatric and addictions medicine care. Call is shared among the other 9 psychiatrists.
The successful candidate will provide:
Collaborative Care Consultation: Provides semi-urgent and ambulatory psychiatric service. An initial psychiatric consultation with some limited short term follow-up will be offered. The referrals will be from Primary Care providers.
MHSU Consultation & Outreach in Person and via Telehealth: The successful candidate will work with community teams providing consultations and follow-up and leadership with clinical teams as they continue to grow. These teams include the ICT (Integrated Community Treatment), ACS and ASTAT teams as well as Substance Use consultative care. There is opportunity for rural and remote visits both in-person and via Telehealth.
Inpatient Psychiatric Care: This would include management of general psychiatry inpatient cases and in a Consultation/Liaison capacity elsewhere in the hospital. There is opportunity to be part of an ECT provider roster.
General Psychiatry On Call: This would be provided at the Comox Valley Hospital Site. This is shared with a roster of collegial general psychiatrists and subspecialists.
- Work collaboratively with Emergency Department, Primary Care, other specialist physicians, Nurse Practitioners and midwives along with the crisis team and MHSU staff to provide consultation, develop treatment plans and facilitate inpatient care when required as a consultant.
- Educate nursing, MHSU staff, crisis regarding care plan development and in supporting treatment plans.
- Provide psychiatric assessment, treatment, concurrent patient education and follow-up as appropriate for patients.
- Complete appropriate clinical documents
- Participate in case management meetings and clinical administration meetings.
- Liaison with other related community institutions and services.
- Participate in Quality Assurance projects as required.
May be eligible for additional remuneration in accordance with the Rural Subsidiary Agreement (RSA) including: Recruitment Incentive - $10,000; Fee Premium - 6.93%; Annual Flat Fee - $6,967.62; Rural CME - $3,000 after 3 years in community to maximum $6,000 after 4 years.
As soon as possible
Comox Valley Hospital
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Eligible for Full Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC