The Medical Director of Medicine is a co-leadership position that shares responsibility
for ensuring high quality health services. With the respective Co-Leader, the Medical Director
works proactively with others (including patients) to ensure continuous quality improvement of
service delivery. This position reports to both an Executive Medical Director and an Executive
Main responsibilities of this position:
1. Leadership: Co-leads and oversees activities to ensure program service delivery is efficient,
effective and integrated across Island Health sites; Links with appropriate Departmental Medical
Leaders to address matters of physician governance, including professional medical practice
2. Operations & Quality: Establishes processes and structures to engage physicians and staff in
continuous quality improvement of service delivery; Monitors program budget and performance
jointly with Co-Leader, and makes course corrections when necessary; Ensures appropriate
investigation and resolution of program-related PSLS and PCQO events.
3. Change Management: Co-develops and implements change management plans to engage and
support physicians and staff through change
4. Informatics: Oversees activities that advance technology and data use to improve service
delivery using the electronic health records (EHR) in collaboration with the Quality Systems team.
5. Planning: Assesses, monitors and anticipates program resource needs and works with medical
leaders and administrative leaders to prioritize these needs within available resources.
Additional specific deliverables are available from the Medical Staff Recruitment office upon
Active member of the Island Health Medical Staff