The South Island Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry of Island Health are seeking part-time and/or full-time Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists to provide psychiatric services to the Children, youth and transitional age adolescents in the Greater Victoria area. At this time, the department is open to applicants that are General/Adult Psychiatrists with demonstrated interest in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
It is an exciting time to join our team of psychiatrists! We are offering excellent opportunities to become a valued member of a collaborative interdisciplinary team where you can shape your career to suit your practice preferences. Here are several of the many interesting accolades and opportunities in our division:
- New funding for a formalized urgent outpatient assessment team with a mandate to provide rapid assessment, liaison with community practitioners, and connection with community mental health resources. This team will be supported with excellent clinical allied professionals.
- Outpatient psychiatric services, includes providing consultations and management (re-assessment, medication management, collaborative care, Mental Health Act documentation) of MHSU conditions to youth and adolescents aged 13 to 21.
- Development of a new Child and Adolescent psychiatry inpatient unit. This project is currently in development and will need input from experienced clinicians with exciting opportunities to shape this program. Services would include providing MRP coverage to admitted psychiatric patients, psychiatric consultation to the emergency department, and psychiatric consultation to patients admitted for medical reasons to the Pediatric Inpatient Unit at Victoria General Hospital.
- Work-from-home opportunities with our flexible, consultation-based Telepsychiatry Program.
- Collaboration as part of an interdisciplinary team, with other mental health teams, community physicians and other care providers.
- Participation in program development and division meetings.
Participation in the Child and Youth Mental Health on-call group is a requirement. This is a MOCAP funded Call Group and includes call for the Queen Alexandra Ledger site and the Victoria General Hospital Emergency and inpatient wards for children and youth presenting with MHSU crisis. Call frequency is determined by the number of Psychiatrists on the call schedule.
As this is a teaching facility the candidate will be expected to obtain a clinical teaching appointment from UBC and be involved in the training of medical students and Psychiatry Residents.
Position is flexible to candidates practice preference of either part-time or full-time work. As well, this position can be combined with other available part-time Psychiatry positions to create a rewarding and diverse full-time Psychiatry practice.
No office overhead
As soon as possible
Victoria, British Columbia’s scenic capital, is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty and enviable quality of life, this is an ideal place to pursue your medical career and create the kind of lifestyle only dreamt about. Few areas in the world can match BC’s scope of outdoor activities, with Vancouver Island offering everything from skiing and snowboarding, to golf, and world-class fishing. With Victoria’s temperate climate, its rich heritage and vibrant cultural scene, it provides the very best of urban and rural living.
Victoria General Hospital and various out patient clinics.
- Eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC)
- Eligible for licensure with FRCPC in General Psychiatry with demonstrated interest in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - required
- Specialized training and experience in Child Psychiatry - desired
- Experience and training in comprehensive psychiatry services, and skills and experience in multidisciplinary, collaborative care and stepped care models.
- Leadership experience and training will be considered an asset.
- Capacity and interest to build relationships with the other services/staff.