The Department of Psychiatry at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (NRGH) with Island Health has an opportunity for a Psychiatrist to provide ambulatory and outreach care through Assertive Community Treatment (ACT).
We are seeking a full-time (0.8 FTE) Psychiatrist with strong leadership abilities to help lead clinical teams, and who is collaborative and enjoys working as part of a team. Support the team to meet community demands within MHSU context. Broader perspective on community needs.
The successful candidate must have:
- Relevant experience or interest working in tertiary-level services.
- A recovery-oriented approach.
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary team
- Understand Provincial ACT standards
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An established track record of exemplary team work, including experience working with team members to plan and lead discharges from the facility and admissions from inpatient and community referral sources.
- An interest and experience working with patients living persistent or frequently recurring psychosis, substance use disorders, and other high level tertiary care needs.
- A passion for delivering interactive and dynamic care in the facility, ambulatory and outreach work settings.
- Harm Reduction lens
- Participation in the NRGH on-call schedule.
- Outreach with home visits, supported housing sites, facility visits, and curbside assessments.
- Participates in the NRGH Department of Psychiatry and in the Division of Tertiary (Mental Health) Care including the promotion and fostering of programmatic evaluation and quality improvement.
- Attendance in clinical team meetings and providing reports to the Department of Psychiatry meetings.
Teaching & Research
- Coordinating and ensuring an excellent learning experience for medical and other students and residents. Appointment to the University of British Columbia (UBC) Department of Psychiatry, and with the UBC Island Medical School, is an expectation of this position.
- There is no research requirement but ample opportunity for an interested psychiatrist.
Office space, computer and administrative support as part of the general service.
As soon as possible
Nanaimo, an exciting urban community with a breathtaking waterfront, provides an opportunity to enjoy an active exciting lifestyle with a multitude of year-round recreational opportunities including golf, mountain biking and walking trails, kayaking, paddle boarding and sailing, or dive to explore three artificial reefs created by wrecks sunk in the harbour. In winter, both downhill and cross-country skiing can be enjoyed at Mount Washington, just 1.5 hours north. This vibrant, growing city of 97,000 boasts its own symphony and theater, offers post-secondary education at the Vancouver Island University, is just 15 minutes by seaplane to downtown Vancouver and a short drive to Victoria.
Interested candidates, please attach your CV and letter of interest.
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for licensure in psychiatry with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC or FRCPC Eligible)