The Cowichan Valley Department of Psychiatry of Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) is seeking a General Psychiatrist interested in joining the Mental Health and Substance Use (MHSU) programs.
Cowichan supports a continuum of services. The Psychiatry team consults to GPs at Cowichan District Hospital’s (CDH) 15 bed Psychiatry In-Patient Unit with more or less intensity depending on the need of the patient.
Through Duncan’s Mental Health Substance Use programs the successful candidate will consult to:
- Short Term Services (community Crisis Response and Brief interventions) through which the Psychiatry team provides part of the programs’ response to GP referrals.
- Case Management Services for moderate community support and a more intense ACT team (Assertive Community Treatment); plus, an Early Psychosis Intervention program.
- Substance Use programs which provide counselling and access to residential treatment. As well the program is integrating with community responses to the Fentanyl crisis.
- All programs and services are integrated with a graduated housing program that provides a range of support for people to live in the community who otherwise could not.
- Separate psychiatric services for seniors are provided by Island Health, members of the Psychiatry team are able to participate in these services.
- Two tertiary psychiatry facilities exist in the Cowichan Valley as island-wide resources and are supported by the Duncan Psychiatrist team: Seniors tertiary care with 25 beds, and Adult tertiary care with 27 beds.
The MHSU program provides psychiatrist on-call responses supported by BC’s “Medical On Call Availability Program” (MOCAP) with a crisis response team for the Cowichan District Hospital Emergency Department and everywhere throughout the hospital, connected to our consultation-liaison function.
Teaching within the University of British Columbia’s Island Medical Program “Integrated Clinical Clerkship” third year experience, with practicum experiences for other medical students, Residents, and Psychiatry Residents is a requirement of this position.
Free shared office space, secretary, telephone, fax and email. Additional incentives available under Rural Subsidiary Agreement (subject to eligibility) include: Recruitment Incentive: $10,000; Annual Retention Premium: $4,222.80; Fee-for-service premium: 4.2%; CME: Years 3 & 4: $3000/annum; After 4 years: $6000/annum.
As soon as possible
Cowichan District Hospital
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV and the names of three references to:
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
- Eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (CPSBC)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC) Eligible - Mandatory
- Experience in collaborative, multidisciplinary, community psychogeriatric care required