A Medical Lead is a co-leadership position with operational and decision-making responsibilities. With the position's co-leader, the Medical Lead Medicine, NRGH works proactively with others (including patients) to enhance teamwork (including collaboration between physicians and staff) and to facilitate continuous quality improvement of services. This position reports to a Site/Medical Director.
Main responsibilities of this position:
1. Leadership: Co-leads activities to ensure physicians and staff work as a team to monitor and improve service delivery; Links with appropriate Division Heads and Chiefs of Staff to address matters of physician governance, including professional medical practice issues.
2. Operations & Quality: Implements processes and structures to engage physicians and staff in continuous quality improvement of service delivery; Monitors team budget and performance jointly with Co-Leader, and makes course corrections when necessary; Initiates investigations of team-related PSLS and PCQO events.
3. Change Management: Acts as change management ‘champion’ to engage and support physicians and staff through change.
4. Informatics: Leads team activities that advance technology and data use to improve service delivery using the electronic health records (EHR) in collaboration with the Quality Systems team.
5. Planning: Assesses, monitors and anticipates team resource needs and works with medical leaders and administrative leaders to prioritize these needs within available resources.
Additional specific deliverables are available upon request from the Physician Recruitment Office (contact details below).
As soon as possible
Nanaimo, population 90,000, is a growing and vibrant urban centre situated on the east coast
of Vancouver Island, located approximately 100 kilometers north of Victoria and offers
excellent access via commercial flights, float plane or ferry to Vancouver. The community
offers a wide variety of cultural and educational opportunities including the 800 seat
waterfront Port Theatre, the Vancouver Island University and is adjacent renowned private
Nanaimo is the outdoor enthusiasts’ paradise, providing year round access to a wide array of
recreational activities including kayaking, kite boarding, windsurfing, mountain biking, hiking,
running and golfing. Nearby Mount Washington frequently boasting the deepest snow pack in
North America, has excellent downhill, snowboarding and cross country skiing.
Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
For further information, please contact:
Shannon Williams, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Active member of the Island Health medical staff