Island Health’s Cowichan Lodge Tertiary Care Facility has an opening for a part-time (0.5 FTE) Adult Tertiary Psychiatrist. The successful applicant will provide the following services:
Adult Tertiary Psychiatrist:
Adult tertiary mental health services are Tier 5 psychiatric services for individuals ages 19 and up, with persistent psychiatric disorders that currently affect functioning, who may also have comorbidities, and whose needs currently exceed Tiers 3 and 4. Working as part of an interdisciplinary team, the Adult Tertiary Psychiatrist will participate in admissions, provide comprehensive assessment, treatment, care planning, stabilization, referral, and transition planning. Assessment for capacity may be required for some individuals. The successful applicant will also provide psychiatric consultation to other Mental Health and Substance Use programs within Island Health as well as across the Province.
It would be required that all admitted patients would have an assigned MRP for continuity of care prior to consultative input by the psychiatrist. Upon discharge, if deemed appropriate, community connections for follow-up would occur, such as through MHSU. The psychiatrist would collaborate with MHSU staff for continuity of care.
- Work collaboratively with other tertiary Care psychiatrists, Forensic Psychiatric Psychiatrists, Emergency Department, Acute Care, Primary Care, other specialist Physicians, and Nurse Practitioners along with the crisis team and MHSU staff to provide consultation, develop treatment plans and facilitate inpatient care when required as a consultant.
- Educate nursing, MHSU staff, crisis regarding care plan development and in supporting treatment plans.
- Provide psychiatric assessment, treatment, concurrent patient education and follow-up as appropriate for patients
- Complete appropriate clinical documents.
- Participate in case management meetings and clinical administration meetings
- Liaison with other related community institutions and services
- Participate in Quality Assurance projects
As Island Health is part of the UBC Faculty of Medicine Island Medical Program there is opportunity for training of medical students and residents and applying for a clinical appointment is supported.
Participation in research is supported and can be facilitated by Island Health.
As soon as possible
Additional incentives available under Rural Subsidiary Agreement (subject to eligibility) include:
- Recruitment Incentive: $10,000
- Relocation Costs Reimbursement: up to a maximum of $15,000
- Annual Retention Premium: $4,834.80
- Fee-for-service premium: 4.2%
- Years 3 & 4: $3,000/annum
- After 4 years: $6,000/annum
Located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, the City of Duncan enjoys Canada’s most temperate climate. Characterized by diverse landscapes from lush countryside to scenic coastal villages and charming inland communities, the Cowichan Valley, encompasses freshwater lakes, saltwater beaches and marinas, and farmland. The area offers a wide variety of attractions for outdoor enthusiasts including great hiking and biking trails, golfing, sailing, canoeing and ocean kayaking. In addition to many local artisans and attractions, the South Cowichan Valley boasts five top vineyards and wineries.
Public education in Duncan is complemented by renowned local private schools and located only 45 minutes south, Victoria also offers excellent educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.
Vancouver Island, one of Canada’s most livable regions, provides the very best in both urban and rural living. Renowned for its breathtaking natural beauty, Vancouver Island offers an opportunity to combine a rewarding career with an enviable quality of life
Interested candidates, please attach your CV and letter of interest.
Christal Lawson, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator
Eligible for full licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC