On behalf of: Chaundra Willms, NP Department Head, Legislative Committee Chair
The role of the legislative committee includes:
- Development, implementation, monitoring and revision of the VIHA Medical Staff Rules and Policies.
Regular review and renewal of the Rules to reflect changes in the clinical-practice environment.
Review the effects of legislations on the quality of medical care and/or the performance of Medical Staff as requested by HAMAC.
To embed the organizational culture within the Rules, including commitments to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Cultural Safety.
The committee has representatives from each Medical Staff Association, each geography as well as Medical Affairs.
We have been working on several amendments to the Medical Staff Rules (MSR) and these changes will go to HAMAC for approval shortly. Once approved all members of the medical staff will be notified of the changes and be provided an electronic copy of the new rules to review. The proposed revisions include the following:
- Integrate Cultural Safety, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the MSR
- Revision of the Medical Staff Rules for spelling and grammatical errors, update titles and links as appropriate.
- Change to MSR for Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (MOST) orders for non-privileged providers
If you would like to review the proposed changes they can be found here.
- Please feel free to reach out to Chaundra Willms if you have any questions or feedback.